Peepers

THE PEEPERS ARE BACK, and just screaming to get laid. These little amphibians, smaller

than a thumb, have throat sacs as big as they6a104d197f3d78eed91b180a7ded5b3b, are and use that to find a mate in early spring. They’re almost impossible to see, and fall silent when you approach, but if you stand quite still and bang two rocks together, very often they take up their chorus again.

About lifegrower

Peter V. Fossel has been gardening since he was nine, and has been an organic farmer for the last 20 years. His most recent book, “Organic Farming, Everything You Need to know” was published by Voyageur Press, Minneapolis, 2007. He’s written numerous gardening articles for Organic Gardening, Horticulture, Country Journal, Out Here, and American Profile among others. He was Gardens Manager for The Hermitage, home of President Andrew Jackson in Tennessee before returning to Cape Cod to start his newest organic venture, Swan River Farm in Dennisport, MA.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Peepers

1. Breezygardener says:

Peepers have been & gone breeding-wise here in Virginia, but the toads have been busy. I now have a puddle (dubbed “Walden Puddle”) here that is chock full of what has to be thousands of little black sperm-lookalike toad tadpoles. We went through this last year as well, so once again I’ll be keeping “Walden Puddle” refilled until all the tads turn into toadlets & leave. In just a few weeks the Grey Treefrogs will by adding their breeding contributions to the mix. (Went through this whole thing last year.) I consider my garden hose to the puddle my contribution to keeping our amphibian population going.

• lifegrower says:

Breezy!!!! I love the word, “toadlets.” I used to keep a mud puddle full for the neighborhood kids to splash through. So nice to hear from you again!

Peter

• Breezygardener says:

And so nice to hear from you again as well. Believe it or not, I’ve checked in to your blog here every single day for the past year or so, always hoping for a new post from you. Am glad that you’re back.

2. lifegrower says:

Stay with me. I’m trying to post something useful, funny, or just human every day. Have a new book coming out next year called “Song of the Soil,” and this blog is a place for me to save fodder for that. Be well, and toadful!

• Breezygardener says:

Here’s something that may be somewhat weirdly funny for you. When this year’s breeding toads converged on our little “Walden Puddle”, we went out there with a flashlight to watch them. (Yes, I’m apparently a wildlife pervert. And I will state that my husband accompanied me a bit grudgingly – lol.) I had said husband hold the flashlight while I carefully extricated one poor female from FOUR males attempting a gang bang amplexus (the froggy mating embrace). It was not an easy thing to do. The poor female was upside down underwater. I left the low man on the totem pole guy to continue on. Growing up back in Long Island, NY, we’d frequently find dead female toads during the breeding season, as frequently the over-anxious suitors will accidentally kill them by overloading & then drowning them by holding them underwater. I did NOT want to see this happen in my little Walden Puddle.

Both I & my husband continue to be amazed that we’re still married – lol!!

3. lifegrower says:

I’m trying to find a way that you can post replies like that on the blog for all to see. It’s Waaaay too priceless! Meanwhile, I think the toad gang-bang thing is not a “survival of the fittest ” thingy.